Pot-hole saves girl’s life
Nov 18, 2011 12:55 PM CST
CINCINNATI, OH (WCPO/CNN) - A pothole is partially to thank for saving the life of a little girl who was being rushed to the hospital after swallowing a heart locket that lodged in her throat.
When her mother drove over the hole on the way to the hospital, the rough bump made it all better.
The X-ray film, doctors said, is one of a kind. A 2.5-cm, heart-shaped locket was lodged inside the esophagus of 8-year-old Laci Davis.
"I was trying to put my hair up and I had my locket in my mouth, and he was making me laugh so I was laughing at the same time, and when I went up like that it just went down my throat," Laci said.
The third-grader was in excruciating pain.
"It felt like something was stabbing me right in the middle of my chest," she said.
Doctors at St. Elizabeth sent her to Cincinnati Children’s Hospital. It was the car ride that changed everything.
"We hit a pot hole and she looked at me and said, ‘oh mom, I feel better.’ I said what do you mean you feel better and she said ‘I don’t feel it anymore,’" Amanda Cullum, Laci’s mother, said.
The pothole dislodged the locket, which then dropped down into Laci’s stomach. The pain was gone, and Laci could breathe normally.
"It was my hero and I when I got home I was like thank you bump," she said.
The locket was made of gold and was given to her as a gift from her parents just three months ago. So what’s next for the girl with a golden heart?
"It’s going to have to come out the old-fashioned way," Laci said.
Doctors said it will be a day or two before Laci can start searching for her buried treasure.
"I’m just going to get a new necklace because I’m not going through that treasure."